TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
John Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 07 Jan 1997 17:33:59 -0800
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hello:
>
> What have you found to be the best way to check dimensional stability in the
> silver halide artwork phototools?
>
> I'm working in a large volume production facility.  The artwork design is
> sent from a CAM system to the drum laser plotter where it is imaged onto
> silver halide film which has been stabilized for at least four hours.  Then
> it is sent to a developer unit.  The plotter and developer system is in a
> class 1000 cleanroom.
>
> The next step in the process is to AOI the film for "copper splashes" and
> "pinholes."  Then the film is touched up.
>
> My major concern is that the film retains its size and shape so that it will
> be accurate for imaging manufacturing.  Is it best to put targets in the
> artwork design around the peripheral of the image and then measure these
> targets at various times?  Or, is it better to punch holes in the film around
> the edges after equalization and prior to laser exposure to measure the
> development process?
> I don't want to overdo it putting too many targets on the artwork or in
> collecting insufficient data.  We do have measuring equipment which is
> located within the adjacent film inspection area, which is a class 10,000
> cleanroom.
>
> I haven't seen much discussion on the artwork or its creation processes in
> this forum.  I hope this sparks some discussion.  If this has already been
> discussed previously, my apologies.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Process Engineer

> * If you are having a problem with the IPC TechNet forum please contact   *
> * Dmitriy Sklyar at 847-509-9700 ext. 311 or email at [log in to unmask]      *
I have found the best way to check plot stability is to plot 2 test
films large as possible with targets on outer edges.Plot one film
emulsion up and one film emulsion down.If you lay your two films
together you will be able to see if your plotters X Y dimentions match.
The targets should line up exactly.
 Then with a glass ruler or accurate measuring device compare your
targets to your cam data to check for film stability.
Repeat once a week or month.(You should make your test plots with an
image that is half silver half clear)
 If you date your test plots from previous months, you can re-measure
them when you have an artwork you feel has dimentional problems and you
know the plot date.