TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 97 08:54:02 EST
The question concerns baking of MLB's

Many old timers remember the advice "When in doubt, bake it out".
Years ago the MLB process contained many bakes.  The purpose of these bakes
was to remove moisture and/or complete the epoxy cure.  More recently
materials and processes have improved and many of these bakes have been
omitted.  Let me comment on several bakes.

Pre-lamination  - Many fabricators bake innerlayers prior to lamination. The
theory is that dry layers have more consistent lamination shrinkage and the
bake will remove moisture responsible for blisters.  This may be true, if
innerlayers are allowed to sit for extended periods in an uncontrolled
environment.  However our experience is that this bake is unnecessary.
Indeed, we did experiments in which we purposely added moisture to innerlayers
prior to lamination.  This experiment found no difference in either shrinkage
or blisters.  We currently do no baking prior to lamination.
MANY customers still require bake prior to lam, compaq et al
Post-lamination - Many fabricators bake MLB's after lamination.  The purpose
of this bake is to complete the epoxy cure and eliminate warpage. Our
experience is that this bake is unnecessary. A properly run lamination cycle,
with controlled cooling, will produce warp-free panels.  The post-lamination
bake may actually cover-up intrinsic warp that will return in a later thermal
cycle.  Similarly a good lamination cycle will achieve full epoxy cure, so
additional baking only serves to thermaly degrade the board. We have
eliminated this bake.

Post-drill bake -  A bake after drill has been shown to eliminate pink ring.
Our work shows this is a dangerous fix.  Pink ring is caused by a chemical
attack on innerlayer surfaces that are exposed by cracks introduced at drill.
The bake relaxes the epoxy enough to close the crack, but it cannot reseal the
crack.  Thus it is at best a cosmetic fix.  However in addition, the bake
hardens epoxy smear and makes it difficult to remove.  A much better solution
to pink ring is to use a good innerlayer surface treatment that prevents
cracking at drill.

Post-solder mask and/or post-nomenclature bake -  Most solder masks require a
bake to complete the soldermask cure.  This bake is in the 300 to 350 F range
for one hour.  This bake has the added benefit that it will complete the cure
if the lamination cycle was inadequate. We use this bake.

Pre-HASL bake - Some fabricators bake prior to hot air level.  The purpose of
this bake is to remove moisture that might cause blisters. We have found that
the bake at soldermask effectively dries the boards and for standard process
delays, an additional bake is unnecessary.

Pre-ship bake  - Some fabricators bake prior to ship to minimize moisture
problems at assembly.  We find that with modern materials, the rate of
moisture uptake is so slow that this bake is also unnecessary.

In summary, the only process bakes that I recommend are the ones required to
cure soldermask and/or nomenclature.  In my opinion additional bakes may
actually do more harm than good.  The secret is a fast manufacturing process,
that minimizes the time that etched boards are exposed to the environment;
coupled with modern materials, that have low moisture absorption.

R. R. Holmes Phd
Viasystems  (Formerly CircoCraft Technologies, formely Lucent; formerly AT&T)
804-226-5114
[log in to unmask] or (Until end of March [log in to unmask])