TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"Gagnon, Gerry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 09:36:59 -0500

When I first started in PWB manufacturing, we used gold as an etch
resist exclusively. If my memory serves me correctly we used 20
microinches. We used it because immersion tin wasn't viable for us
(slivers/solderability/shelf life/etc.) and there wasn't a stable
tin/lead bath on the market at that time. We also used pyrophosphate
copper because acid copper sulfate was relatively new to high volume
production. We were predominantly screening our innerlayer etch
resists because again, the photoimageable stuff was relatively new. We
used the Dupont "Riston process" as it was called only for "fineline"
jobs (i.e. 6 mil line 10 mil space).

At the time, big advantage to using gold - veeery simple process and
flow. Still would be as simple a process today.

What killed it?

1) 	Cost - I remember when gold was <$40 an ounce. It seemed to
double, then triple, then 10X. I remember hedging gold "futures" for
electroplate at $800 per ounce for 2-4 years!!!!! No rocket science to
figure this one out! Also no rocket science to figure out why gold
plated edge contacts all-of-a-sudden went from 100 microinches minimum
to 70 to 50 - to wherever it is now. Amazing how all the reliability
data seemed to support the reductions. Sort of made us feel stupid to
have been plating 100+ microinches on edge card contacts!!!!
2) 	Slivers - could never really get rid of them with gold unless the
fold was stripped. Reduce slivers yes, but not eliminate. Could never
really get rid of slivers for immersion tin either unless it was
stripped. We scrubbed by machine & by hand. Ughhhh.
3) 	Solder joint issues with gold- Yes, I had to live through that one
too! Very difficult for a boards person to understand at that time.

Enough History.

Gerry