TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Dave Pizzoferrato)
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 08:10:49 -0700
Andy,

What you are describing sounds like random "thin areas". Certain LPI masks
are translucent when deposits are thin. Not being able to see it I can only
speculate. However, If there is solder where there should be solder, yet
you see what looks like exposed copper in other areas, it is unlikely that
these areas are actually "exposed copper" (unless the mask became dislodged
post HASL, but this does not sound like the case) . If these areas were
actually exposed copper prior to HASL, they would be covered with solder. I
have seen this before, and one way to determine is to cross section the
thin area. Another way would be to try to "light" the circuit with a
continuity meter (gently probing the "exposed copper area")

Compare the actual thickness of the mask to your specification. I'll bet
its thin.

Dave Pizzoferrato
QA Manager
Centerline Circuits