TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 14:15:00 -0500
Just a few thoughts to add to the reply below:
If the analysis shows low tin and if the lab is reputable then..... the
sample has low tin.
Question: How representative is your sample?
No doubt your procedures for sampling specify that the pot is up to
temperature and been pumping/waving for a specified time before taking the
sample, that this is taken from the wave return and immediately chilled and
so on.
So if that is being done right and all your samples are representative, then
the lab has highlighted that sometihing different is going on between your
thee machines. Maybe you need to find out what it is, maybe you don't. Most
people have a sufficient choice of walls on which to bang their heads already
and I guess you are no different. I suggest your acion is to add the tin and
make a note to keep half an eye on the trends you are plotting from the
analysis reports. Good paractise here is to sample more frequently than you
analyse, then if you get s sudden change you can back track in time to get a
fix and hopefully relate that to some event. "passed by" sample can be used
up in the wave, added to the dross bins or whatever.
Finally: the addition of tin to solder pots is actually not an uncommon
practise and fairly frequently recommended from lab analysis.
Mike Fenner

In a message dated 03/01/97  23:44:00, you write:

<< ubj:	Re: ASSY: Low Tin Level in Wave Solder