TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
Paul Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 17:10:38 +0000
I have had no experience of pressing solid planes with drilled out holes
but have processed buried vias although these are much smaller.

I would like to ask if you are pulling the vacuum well before you close
up the press. We use vacuum frames and have at least 20 minutes under
vacuum before loading into the press. The problem is that the vacuum
itself seals the pack making it more difficult for the air to seap out.
Once the resin starts to flow it is too late to extract any more air. I
am not familiar with the 106 pre-preg, is this more resin rich than
1080? If the surface of this pre-preg is very smooth, the air will have
trouble escaping. Is the copper surface smooth, if so try roughening it
with a coarse grade brush.

Assuming there is sufficient resin volume present to fill the total
number of holes, the resin flow characteristics are important and I
would suggest you need a rapid heat up rate to achieve maximum resin
flow. If you can speed it up by removing Kraft paper or using hot start
that might help.

One other worry not connected with hole filling is that there could also
be a danger that the surface of the 1080 is very smooth after pressing
and may give you adhesion problems with the final bonding. Perhaps 7628
would be better or you could bond copper foil and etch it off to be
certain you have the best surface topography instead of using tedlar.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing the solution

Paul Gould
Teknacron Circuits Ltd