TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:23:17 -0500
I do not want my details put on a list which is then circulated around.
I don't see the point any way. Technet is an open forum, but if you want to
have closed correspondence with individual members then there is nothing to
stop you. For myself I benefit from seeing things in Technet which I would
never have sought out, but which turn out to have relevance to me. eg items
on PCB FAB which have consequences for assembly.

Mike Fenner
BSP

--------------------------
In a message dated 22/01/97  22:53:34,Steve Gregory replied:

<< Good morning all!

   I just want to express the intent of my comments about Jan Merstrands
 suggestion to the email address thing, and what I've assumed to be Jan's
 intentions too.

   I was looking at it as having a sort of "Technical Reference Rolodex" as a

 resource to draw upon, if I came across a problem, or wanted to learn about
 something in more detail, I could go to the "TechNet Rolodex" and
communicate
 with an expert on whatever it is I'm trying to find out...and seeing Jan
 Merstrands email signature (Wave Soldering Technician), that would indicate
 me that Jan is not looking for addresses to "SPAM"...

   I understand the concerns that some people may have about getting their
email
 boxes stuffed with a bunch of unwanted advertisements...maybe one could put
 something like a ADV: in the subject box like we do to catagorize the
different
 topics anyway, then you set-up a "rules" function in your email to trash any

 advertisements that are sent to you if you don't want to read them,
practically
 _ALL_ email software is capable of a function such as this.

   Unlike Kerry, I have gotten a few solicitations from various companies
 resulting from my communications to the TechNet. The latest one is marketing

 software called "KwickFit" to do efficient PCB panelization layouts...some
of
 you may have recieved the same email. I don't mind advertisements from
companies
 that deal in products or services concerning our industry. If it's something

 that doesn't interest me, the only problem it causes me is the time it takes
for
 me to move my cursor up to the little trashcan at the top of my monitor and
 click on it...about half a seconds worth.

    The reason that I don't mind those kind of emails is because there might
be
 one out of ten of the commercial emails that does have a product or service
that
 will be valuable in helping me at whatever I'm doing. Prior to the INTERNET,
 would have only found out about the service or product through word of mouth

 from my peers, or an advertisement from reading a trade magazine somewhere.
 Don't get me wrong, I do dislike junk mail probably as much as the next
person,
 the kind my "snail-mailbox" gets stuffed with. Especially the ones that are
 add >>