TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"Huschka, Manfred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:40:00 -0700
Those DK values are average values only, and for  frequencies of 1 MHz.
The dielectric constant of base materials depends on the resin content
of the base material, because it is a composite value of E-glass with a
DK of 6.6 and neat resin (e.g. epoxy resin of 3.6).

For epoxy/glass (FR4), irrespective whether difunctional or
multifunctional, the DK range is from 4.3 (e.g. 0.15 mm laminate of 2
plies 1080 glass fabric, with a retained resin content of 56 %) to 4.8
(x plies of 7628 glass fabric, 41 % resin content, e.g. 0.33 mm, 0.51
mm, 0.71 mm, 1.50 mm). The same applies to polyimide/glass, with DK
values from 4.0 to 4.6.

And it is not possible to manufacture any laminate thickness for a given
dielectric constant: e.g. it is not possible to manufacture a rigid
epoxy/glass laminate (1.5 mm) with a DK value of 4.3. This would require
approx. 23 plies of 1080 prepreg, resulting in slippage in the press,
and manufacturing cost that nobody could pay for (23 plies 1080 vs. 8
plies 7628 glass ).

For teflon laminates a DK value cannot be stated without the MIL
designation, e.g. GX, GY, etc., because the nature of this designation
also determines the construction of the laminate: A GY laminate
automatically has a lower DK than a GX material due to the use of skived
PTFE (= pure PTFE, without glass fabric reinforcement) in the laminate
construction together with glass reinforced prepreg.

Manfred Huschka
AlliedSiignal Laminate Systems Europe