TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 97 05:09:43 cst
     Hi Steve -

     No, you are not oversimplifying the problem. It's just that getting
     the "rework" portion of the recipe right is not very simple. A fair
     share of the industry looks at solderability problems as having two
     main source causes: oxidation and intermetallic growth. Chris Hunt at
     NPL has some really good info on intermetallic growth and growth
     prediction equations - check out the 96 SMI proceedings for his paper.

     The area I see lots of misconceptions is how to restore an oxidized
     solder finish. If you had a thick solder finish that is just plain
     oxidized without any copper/tin intermetallic complications then a
     controlled process reflow with the right flux chemistry will make
     things solderable again. If you have a thin solder finish that has
     converted (via diffusion) itself into a copper/tin intermetallic you
     need to use a very aggressive flux to attack the intermetallic oxide
     and then build up/deposit a reasonable thickness of solder (say 60-120
     microinches). If you just re-process the thin solder scenario without
     increasing the solder thickness the copper/tin intermetallic just
     reforms and oxidizes again -now you are back at square one. If I would
     quickly (within a few days) process these thin solder scenario boards
     in my assembly line with the right flux chemistry I would have
     adequate yields - solderability goes down hill if the boards sit
     around.

     That's why you will hear some camps say a reflow will restore an
     oxidized board (the JIT type of processes) or hear some camps say a
     reflow won't restore a board (the long storage time processes). There
     are some new restoration/fluxless solder technologies that are in the
     work too (e.g. ROSA, PADS etc.) that may help everyone in the future
     if they prove viable.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins