TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
Vera Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:16:34 -0600
Dan,

Sorry, but I have to put my .02 cents worth in on this one....

Your PCB fabricator sounds like they think you don't have the capability to decide which spec is best for you.  It reminds me of the Bruce Springsteen song that refers to "Blind Faith".

In all the years I have worked in a board shop as quality engineer, plating manager, and salesperson I have found it refreshing to have a customer know what I was talking about when I mentioned the IPC.  For the most part, if we get a board that has been designed to meet the specifications that are called out on the print or their own internal documentation I want to celebrate!  On the other hand, I've spent countless hours trying to help "educate" my customers to the industry standards for bare pcb's.  But...it is NOT my place to "brainwash"  my customers to my way of thinking.

As Mr. Bergman noted in one of his replies, our industry is changing at such a rapid pace that the specifications have to be updated to reflect those changes.  The specifications are reviewed  and updated by MEMBERS of IPC and leaders in our industry. I just received my IPC  Expo catalog, and in almost all cases the program leaders are not employed by IPC, but by people in the industry who are willing to take the time to share their knowledge to help us all.

We all have the choice to adopt a new revision or discard it. (Unless of course, you are a pcb fabricator and your customer calls it out!)