TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"Dill, Norm J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 97 19:26:00 EST

Dave,
      I was agreeing with you on the test equipment theory until your last
statement.  Based on my past experience with setting up calibration programs
that satisfied both the NRC and more recently ISO, it would be my opinion
that since your rectifiers play a major role in the quality of your product,
they are not beyond the scope of ISO.  While they are not part of your
test/measurement equipment they are a critical part of your process.  If I
recall, section 4.9 concerns Process Control.  How you chose to 'cover' your
rectifiers would depend on your plating process controls.
     To over simply your rectifier example, if you monitor your plating
quality continuously with microsection analysis, you would know immediately
if your rectifiers were having a bad day.  By using calibrated measuring
equipment for the analysis, you are fully compliant.
     If on the other hand you depend entirely on your rectifiers to work
properly to provide consistent in-spec plating, then you would need to
demonstrate your confidence in their proper on going operation.  Unless you
have an impressive song and dance routine, a documented program that
verifies their proper operation on a regular basis would be needed.   A
formal preventative maintenance program with ID numbers on each piece of
equipment will go a long way toward impressing your auditor that you are
serious about producing consistent quality.
      Anything that you chose to do that could be perceived as a short cut
by your assessment auditor will encourage more questions.  At best, this
usually leads to excessive 'tap dancing' on your part.

        Norm Dill