TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"Greg Bartlett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
22 Jan 1997 16:55:15 -0500
                      RE>GEN: ISO and Calibration                  1/22/97

David,

I suspect that you'll get a wide variety of interpretations on this element.
 We were certified to ISO 9001 a couple of years ago and heard some divergent
opinions from consultants and others who had been certified previously.  I
guess that it really depends upon how your registrar is, but more importantly
it probably depends upon how specific you write your procedures and work
instructions.  If you go to great lengths to describe how a piece of
equipment is used in a procedure, then be prepared to describe how you
maintain, control, and/or calibrate it.

As examples: One board shop told me that their registrar was insistent that
they show how they control calibration on *graduated glass cylinders* in the
wet chem lab.  A consultant told us that we may have to show how we maintain
calibration on a CLOCK if we showed that we relied on it for timing
processes.  Then again, we had consultants tell us that you really only have
to worry about calibration of equipment that's used to measure final product
attributes.

I have heard that as a general rule, if you have a piece of equipment that
can measure *anything*, either have a calibration sticker on it or a label
that says that it's for reference only (or something to that effect).  An
unlabelled piece of measuring equipment is something that will give you at
least a minor deviation.

Regards,
Greg Bartlett
Mercury Computer Systems