TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 97 8:22:41 PST
	There's been a lot of discussion on obsoleted documents from the IPC
and George Frank recently touched on the military documents.  If this helps,
and probably like many of you, I got the pleasure of going through a military
audit about two years ago.  One of the issues that they were firm on with
military documents was "Correct, Current, and Approved."  They made it clear
that all amendments, updates and revisions must be incorporated.  If a
customer asked you to manufacture to Rev. A and the document was at revision
C, you'd have to say, "I'm sorry, there is no such document.  But, I can use
this other document."  This would exclude existing government contracts which
have their own set of rules by definition of the contract.
	I suppose you could get by using any obsolete document as a reference
as long as you don't "certify" to that document.  Maybe incorporate all the
requirements into an internal specification and reference that.
	One other note, when our internal documents reference any industry or
military standards, we omit the revision level with the document number and
say "current revision of..."  I would guess that most companies do this to
save on work later.

Glenn Pelkey
Quality/Reliability Engineer
Maxtek Components Corp.