TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
Dan Lorinser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 06:48:13 -0600
George,
Question...should I callout a obsolete spec on a class A released
drawing? Can I? I bought a 9600 modem a few years back, works fine,
but I did upgrade it to a 33.6!

>>> George Franck Jr <[log in to unmask]> Jan 21, 1997
5:57 pm >>>
Dan,
I own a HP235 Calculator which I bought for $235 in 1974.  It is  obsolete.
 However, it also still works, and gives reliable results.

As to IPC-RB-276, I understand it, my suppliers (usually) understand it,
my designers understand it, my electrical engineers almost understand
it, and my inspectors understand it.  The Spec works and the boards are
reliable.

Yes, I will eventually convert to the IPC-6011/2.  I will also replace  my
1984 Pontiac someday.  However, I am keeping my HP, RPN and all.

Gak! I must be some kind of an old engineering Geek!  (Did I tell you  about
the time we first swaged wire through phenolic boards for  thru-hole
connections?  I should have gotten a patent.)

Any way, my point is, things that work get replaced less quickly than
things that do not.

Thanks for your thoughts
George Franck

Legal Disclaimer:
My company, showing good sense, disavows anything I say.

On Jan 21, 12:42pm, Dan Lorinser wrote:
> Subject: FAB: CU/Invar/Cu suppliers -Reply
> Remember...IPC-RB-276 is OBSOLETE! IPC-6011 and IPC-6012 are the
> bad boys now unless your vendor isn't up to the new ones yet.
> Dan Lorinser
> BFGoodrich Aerospace
>  > >>> George Franck Jr <[log in to unmask]> Jan 21,
1997  > 1:19 pm >>>
> Technet,
>  > If you are a Fab Shop, or if you know of a good one, please pass
this  > along.
>  > I currently have requirements for Copper Invar Copper (CIC) boards.
 > Looking for one or two shops to quote.
>  > Not big volume (3500 boards square inches total).
> Boards USED TO BE Mil-P-55110, but will be built to IPC-RB-276, Class
3,  > INCLUDING COUPONS.  We can negotiate details.
>  > Boards are 5 layer boards.  Some designs have blind vias 1-2 and
4-5.
  > er...one more thing.. Polyamide, GIN/GIL per 13949.
>  > E-mail which suggest better/cheaper ways to build these boards will
be  > read with interest, however where were you in 1989 when we
design it

--

George Franck Jr
Raytheon E-Systems