TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 13:30:52 -0800
We have found that we can get alot closer with traces to the edge of a
breakway if we use v-Scoring instead of breakaway holes.  I have done
designs that are in production on CEM-1, CEM-3, and FR-4 that have the
outside edge of the trace at 0.025" away from the edge of the board.
Quantities on these designs range from several hundred per month to over 1
million a month.  The size of the panels varies from 1 inch sqaure (the
miilion a month on CEM-1) to 12 inches by 8 inches (the several hundred a
month on FR-4).

You may want to investigate v-scoring as an alternative.  It may end up
costing more but if you scrap less you're better off.  Also we do not
depanelize by hand any more we use and arbor press with custom tooling
(usually very low cost) to break the assemblies apart.  The reason we do it
is not because of scrap.  It is an ergonomic issue.  You'd be suprised what
courts will award a person who CLAIMS to be permanently disabled due to
carpal tunnel syndrome.

If you do look into v-scoring, make sure that either your board house can do
it in their facility or they consistently use the same outside source for
scoring and the outside source is reputable. We won't use board houses for
pc boards that require scoring unless they do it in house (It really uglies
up the legalities when you say the boards aren't clean enough and they blame
the outside guy who can no longer be found, who was running a scoring
business out of his garage etc).