TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 97 18:00:02 cst

Hi Gordon!

Dr. Tench and others have done additional work that furthers the information you
mentioned in Klein Wassink's book. SnO2 does form at room temperatures. Think of
it this way - a layer of SnO forms on a new solder surface, once it gets thick
enough that the Sn has a long diffusion path the outer surface begins to convert
to SnO2 because of the abundance of O2 in the air. This SnO2 layer never gets
very thick but because it is the stable form of Sn oxide - it is very coherent
and very insulating. The insulative nature of the oxide and its structure make
it hard for fluxes to effectively remove it. A couple of references with a bunch
more detail are:

"The Mechanics of Solder Alloy Wetting and Spreading, ISBN 0-442-01752-9,
chapter 6 Oxidation of Solder Coatings by Dr. Morgan Tench"

" An Examination of Artificially Aged PWB Surfaces Using Sequential
Electrochemical Reduction Analysis" by D. Hillman and M. Tench, IPC-TP-1060,
October 1992."

Your freezer ideas sound strange but I'll try to put some samples in the freezer
and do some SERA testing to see what happens - should be fun (oh will the lab
techs give me a hard time about this test!).

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins