TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 14:21:10 -0600 (CST)

Hello.

Yesterday we had our first chat session using IPC's new chat service,
which is being tested currently (see the attached log of the session).
All participants expressed interest in the new service and felt that it
can be a valuable tool for the Electronic Interconnection Industry.

Several people reported problems connecting to the IPCchat page. Let me
remind you of the address:
http://www.ipc.org/IPCchat/IPCchat.html  (case sensitive)
Also you can access it using the text link from our home page at
http://www.ipc.org

I will be on the chat tomorrow, Friday 17th, at 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m
Central Standard Time. You are welcome to join me and ask questions or
discuss the industry-related topics.

If anyone has an idea for the chat discussion topic - feel free to post
on the TechNet or other forums along with the time you plan to start
(please specify the time zone you are in)

For time conversion visit http://poisson.ecse.rpi.edu/cgi-bin/tzconvert
or use a text link on the IPCchat page.

If you plan to participate, please try to connect to the Chat site before
the chat session to confirm the connectivity. Call me at 847-509-9700 if
you will have any problems doing that.

Thank you.

Dmitriy Sklyar
Electronic Communication Manager
IPC
2215 Sanders Road
Northbrook, IL 60062-6135
voice   847-509-9700 ext. 311
fax     847-509-9798
e-mail  [log in to unmask]
URL     http://www.ipc.org
	http://www.eecs.uic.edu/~dsklyar

 (c) 1996 Paralogic Corporation http://www.webpage.com, Version id: Paralogic pChatServer v0.25a  This is the ParaChat(tm) Server, in Alpha testing  Thank you for helping us test the service  As an aid to debugging potential problems  Full logging has been TEMPORARILY turned ON.  ** Please assume everything you type is being logged. *  ** Please assume your IP address is being logged. *  Please send feedback to [log in to unmask]  *** You should now be running beta16 or higher ... if not, please exit your browser and reconnect *** >> Dmitriy has joined channel #IPC_Chat The topic is: IPC Printed Circuit Board Industry Chat >> cb has joined channel #IPC_Chat >> Tom has joined channel #IPC_Chat Dmitriy> hello Tom [Tom] Hi Dmitriy...this is Tom Coyle from HADCO. Is anyone else here yet? Dmitriy> nope, only us... [Tom] I'd just like to share with you that you have been a welcome addition to the various IPC Nets. [Tom] Thanks for fixing those problems for us as they happen. Dmitriy> Thanks Dmitriy> did you have any troubles logging in? [Tom] I had to enable my Java, and when I first tried, it failed...something about authentification failed. I got in on the second try though. I wasn't sure what to put for name. I am using AOL, since HADCO's e:mail doesn't support web surfing! Dmitriy> are you using AOL browser? [Tom] Beats the heck out of me...I have AOL for WIN'95. The screen is the typical AOL screen, not Explorer. [Tom] What is the "Click on next" button for in the lower right corner? >> zoie has joined channel #IPC_Chat Dmitriy> hi zoie [Tom] Hi Zoie [Tom] {S welcome >> cb has joined channel #IPC_Chat [Tom] Hello again, cb [cb] Hello out there, anybody here? Dmitriy> Dmitriy to cb, Dmitriy to cb, comin please.. Dmitriy> that was suppose to be funny... [Tom] This is Tom Coyle from HADCO Corporation. Who are you and where are you from? [cb] Sorry, I was off line too long and this thing timed out on me. I'm here Dinitry! [cb] Is there some way to enlarge the a screen area this Chat Room takes up? I'm going blind looking at this little bitty window. Dmitriy> our conference officialy strarts at 11, so we can fool around 'till tahat time.. [cb] Have you been using this program, Dimitry? Dmitriy> zoie, cb, what software dou you use? [Tom] So what is the "Click on next" button in the lower right corner for? Dmitriy> yes, quiet a lot Dmitriy> this is just an add... Dmitriy> this is a test page provided for free, so it has their adds. [cb] Good morning to you too, Tom and Zoie [Tom] Hi cb. Does anyone care to share who they are and what they do? [cb] Can the display area be enlarged with this version? [Tom] I'm glad I have my bifocals on! LOL Dmitriy> no. If we'll buy our own engine, then it can be done. [cb] I'm a Mfgr Engr in Stafford, Texas (next door to Houston) [Tom] I am a field engineer for HADCO. We fabricate circuit boards. [cb] I'm glad I bought glasses just for computer use...I'd have abroken neck from trying to use my bifocals..... :-) [Tom] I hear ya ;( [cb] Has anyone tried Netscape's Chat program? [Tom] 8-( there, I've got my bifocals on now! [Tom] I have never used Netscape. I have AOL and MSN. [cb] I have not used those services. At home I connect up thru our PC user group here in Houston. >> zoie has left channel #IPC_Chat [Tom] Was it something we said? [cb] I suspect she timed out from not typing anything. >> fredp has joined channel #IPC_Chat Dmitriy> could be... [fredp] hello all, How do I know who is here? [cb] Dimitry will probably go out soon too. I don't think this thing has much patience with us....oops, you'r back >> zoie has joined channel #IPC_Chat [Tom] Now that there is a flat rate for service, AOL is a good buy. $14.95/month if you sign up for two years. I am glad I kept MSN though, because half the time I can't get on AOL. Dmitriy> if you can reach AOL... [Tom] Hi Fred P, there is a screen to the right that shows the attendees. [fredp] Saw that after I entered that!! [Tom] ah....hindsight..it's so much easier than looking at this screen! LOL [fredp] LOL? [Tom] fredp...since there's no profile button, could you tell us about yourself? LOL=lot's of luck, or sometimes lots of laughter Dmitriy> There is a button "user info" on the top.. select a user and click on it. [fredp] Fred Pescitelli, Owner Phoenix Designs (Atl) and Pres Designers Council [fredp] And yourself [cb] Hi Fred, and welcome back zoie [cb] This is Charlie Barker, Mfgr Engr in Stafford, Tx [Tom] Tom Coyle from HADCO..we fabricate boards [log in to unmask] (right now I'm [log in to unmask]) [fredp] Am disapointed, Thought there would be more people on today. [cb] 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....go Dimitry Dmitriy> Thank you. The message is coming up... [Tom] Dmitriy, the user info button seems to be bogus Dmitriy> depends on the info you entered when logging. [Tom] ah yes, can we amend that? [cb] I think we are all being a bit cautious the forst time.... [Tom] Is everyone going to IPC Expo '97 in March? [fredp] The forst time? We need an embeded spellchecker. [Tom] I secind that >> test has joined channel #IPC_Chat [cb] That's what happens when your fingers gain too much weight. [Tom] Test, now that's a real name for ya [Tom] How are ya, Test? [cb] Welcome test [fredp] I can not make Expo but will be at PCB Conference and Designers council Exe mtg. Dmitriy> test is me, just tried something... [Tom] Don't get testy, Dmitriy! [cb] Perhaps he has a split personality? Dmitriy> ha-ha-ha! [Tom] Dmitriy is the hardest name to spell... test may be better! LOL Dmitriy> i just have several computers... Dmitriy> yeah, but it makes it stand out, isn't it? [cb] Definite case of multiple personality disorder.... [fredp] I just tried to send a smilely face and it didn't like it. [Tom] try a frowny [Tom] 8-) you need glasses for this screen [zoie] How long does it take before the message appears? [cb] How can I do a CAPITAL 8 on this thing? [fredp] Immeade [fredp] spellig again Dmitriy> (:)-@ how about a scuba gear? [fredp] Come again [fredp] The response time seems great [Tom] yes it does [cb] Well, what issues on board design, building abd stuffing are we going to resolve today? [Tom] how come I have a carat > instead of brackets { }? Dmitriy> we don't have too many people here yet.. [cb] Because you are you. [cb] I have carets on my machine and you have brackets on my machine. [Tom] so the screen is unique (uneek) to each of us? [cb] I guess... [cb] I have a 17" monitor and the whole working area for this is abt 5.5"  x 2" [Tom] woe is me, Charlie...I have a 15 incher here at work >> luis has joined channel #IPC_Chat [Tom] {S welcome [luis] thanks, hi [cb] Hello luis [Tom] Where ya from, Luis? [fredp] Welcome Luis tell us about yourself [luis] I'm from Barcelona, Spain Dmitriy> if nobody minds, i will wait with the introduction a few minutes untill more people join... [fredp] Luis , What time is it in Spain? [Tom] that sounds ok ...we're just trying to pass the time [cb] ? Como Estad Usted, Lusi [luis] Now is 19:00 [cb] Oops...fat fingers again... [luis] muy bien, I think u can help me with my english >> test has left channel #IPC_Chat [Tom] you seem to be fluent in the English language, Luis [fredp] Good Morning! Its Lunch time in Atlanta, Thans Dmitry for scheduling at this time. [luis] i have some problems writing [luis] but not reading [fredp] I think we all do. [Tom] yeh, Dmitriy, everyone knows that EST is the main time zone! LOL [Tom] hewked on fonix werked fer me [cb] Don't count on this too much for a serious English lesson, Luis, it will probably have a lot of hash thrown in too. [Tom] Fred, I believe I've seen you on the Technet from "Mindspring", correct? [fredp] Dmitriy, Good job we will use this for Designers Council Mtgs. Do we need to reserve or somthing? Dmitriy> it would be helpful. >> zoie has left channel #IPC_Chat [fredp] Can this be captured to a text file? [luis] At whot time opens the bar Dmitriy> The servis eis up all the time Dmitriy> sorry. fat fingers [Tom] are you picking up the bill, Luis? [fredp] Regards <Out to Lunch> >> fredp has left channel #IPC_Chat Dmitriy> so, how do you like it so far? Dmitriy> Hello everyone. My name is Dmitriy Sklyar, Dmitriy> I am an electronic communication manager for IPC.  This is a test run of the IPC Chat servise. We need to determine how useful this servise can be for the industry before we make a conciderable investment in the software and hardware.The decision will be based on response genarated, so send your opinion to the address below the main field. Starting after this message all entrees will be logged and posted on the TechNet and other forums later. Since it is a live chat, please don't pay mutch attention to the spelling errors... I'll be online 'till 12:30, so if you have any questions - feel welcome to ask... The appearance of hte chat page will be different if we'll buy the chat engine. [Tom] what main field? [cb] zoie, where are you located? [daver] Will there be chat rooms for specific topics Dmitriy> Yes, upon request [daver] How will they be requested? Dmitriy> via e-mail [daver] How will we announce time and topics to everyone? Through the Technet? Dmitriy> we'll have a list of presently running sessions... [Tom] Hi everyone, and welcome to IPCchat. My name is Tom Coyle and I am a field services engineer for HADCO Corporation. We are a circuit board fabricator. Can everyone introduce him/herself? Dmitriy> requests will go to me [Tom] There are lots of shy people in this chat room! [daver] My name is Dave Roesler. I work for TRI-C Design, Inc., a flex circuit design house. I used to work at Infinite Graphics, a PWB service bureau and software supplier [zoie] back after getting some (more) lunch from the canteen [Tom] I think it would be beneficial if the chats were held at a later time in the day [luis] My name is Antonio Daniel. I'm chemist , and I work for Lab Circuits in Barcelona Spain Dmitriy> you can use this servis eany time for discussions on any PSB topics. [cb] I am Charlie Barker, Mfgr Engr at Input/Output Stafford, Texas [Tom] Now I've heard of PWB, and even PCB, but PSB???? Dmitriy> oops... PCB Dmitriy> Printed Circuit Board... [daver] I see how the chat sessions will work. It looks like it might have potential. I am going to log off and get back to work. I am certainly interested in joining chat sessions on specific topics. [zoie] Dick Pond, Schlumberger, interested in board assembly [cb] Dick, are you down the road from me? [Tom] I second Dave's comments. I would be interested in future formal chats.... and welcome Dick! [zoie] no, but we have a big facility near you >> daver has left channel #IPC_Chat [cb] There have been some very interesting posts on Intrusive Reflow lately..any of you used it? [zoie] no [niagara] hello I'm back, I had to answer some questions [Tom] I've seen the postings, but no, we build bare boards. [niagara] perhaps to prompt somemore coversation, could you explain intrusive reflow? >> Michael has joined channel #IPC_Chat Dmitriy> hello Michael [niagara] I'm a PCB designer, so my experience is more in circuits and design, less in fab and process [Tom] Welcome, Michael! Where are you from? [niagara] Hello Michael [cb] Its a method of soldering thru-hole components in a reflow oven at the same time you solder smt parts. [Michael] Harris Corp in Melbourne [cb] Hello Michael.... [niagara] thanks for the answer, that does seem unusual, how does the solder get placed for the through hole [cb] Michael, is that Melbourne, as in Florida, or in Australia? [Michael] Florida [luis] I hope to see u in the next chat. Adios [cb] niagara, the solder is deposited in paste for on the thru-hole pads, usually by stenciling, at the same time it is placed on the smt pads. [Tom] There has also been alot of excitement and talk lately about microvias (in the neighborhood of a .004" via in an .008" pad. Goodbye Luis! [Michael] see you guys...have to put out a fire [niagara] hope to hear from you soon luis [cb] Goodby Luis, keep those atoms and molecules under control! >> Michael has left channel #IPC_Chat [Tom] See ya Michael [cb] Tom, how thick of a board can you put such a via in reliably? [Tom] Thickness overall is not a concern. The thickness of the microvia layer to the next layer is minimal....around 1 1/2 to 2 mils. [cb] Is this part of the "Bliond and Buried Via Technology?" [Tom] This is accomplished in one of four ways: PDV (photo-defined vias) using LPI (liquid photoimageable) dielectric; the Dykostrate process (plasma defined); IBM SLC (same as PDV but with a dry film); and laser. HADCO is positioned and licensed to do all 4 technologies, especially now that we have acquired Zycon, who has done laser work. There are only 4 stateside vendors who offer Dykostrate. [niagara] I have to get back to work, see you later I hope. I liked the experiment, seems like it would be good for specific topics. In general chatting is a little scattered. [Tom] Unfortunately, chat rooms always encounter scattered chat and delay times. Thanks for joining us, Niagara! [cb] I think Dimitry timed out. I will be leaving soon too. Dmitriy> im back [cb] Speak of the devil and look who pops up.................. >> zoie has joined channel #IPC_Chat [Tom] me too, in fact right now. It's been a pleasure chatting with you all. See you next time! [Tom] {S goodbye Dmitriy> bye >> Tom has left channel #IPC_Chat [zoie] back on after a netscape fault kicked me off line >> luis has left channel #IPC_Chat [zoie] only three left Dmitriy> OK. it was fun [zoie] it will work Dmitriy> i'll past this conversation on the IPC forums Dmitriy> if you don't object... Dmitriy> may be we'll get more people next time [cb] Well, Dmitriy, looks like a slow start for the Chat Room sessions. I can see some possiblities, but this sis probably going to require more time that most Engineers can block out during a work day. Dmitriy> not if they talk about specific topic... [cb] true... [cb] Dick, are you in the downhole tool building business too? [zoie] the typical user is problem/solution oriented, not chat oriented [cb] If so, do you do hi-temp smt? [zoie] no, our sister division is, but I'm in electricity metering [zoie] just -40 to 85C components [cb] Dmitriy, have you seen any posting about hi-temp smt on technet? Dmitriy> what is hi-temp? Dmitriy> i maintain the TechNet, but i am not familiar wiht the industry [cb] Assemblies that have to function in downhole applications where the temperature reaches about 200 deg C. Dmitriy> i'm just another wirehad... [cb] Ok....Just a thought, you might want to try to set these up for people with specific interests Dmitriy> that is the main use... [cb] e.g. I am involved with board assembly, but also have astrong interest in bare board manufacturing to be able to qualify vendors. [cb] That puts me across several disciplines [cb] I am also involved with Designer's council and SMTA.... [cb] Too many irons in the fire! [zoie] interesting working lunch today >> Batman has joined channel #IPC_Chat >> reverma has joined channel #IPC_Chat Dmitriy> hello [reverma] hellow there [cb] Well, I am going to step out and go look for my PB & J sandwich....I'll monitor until I time out. [cb] Hello reverma [reverma] hello cb [cb] and Batman [reverma] So what is the chat of the IPC Printed Circuit Board Industry? [Batman] Hello Dmitriy> just the way you see it here, exept some specific topics will be disscussed... [zoie] I'll check any future plans on TechNet Dmitriy> i'll keep you posted >> zoie has left channel #IPC_Chat Dmitriy> i'll post the entire conversation on the TechNet later... [reverma] What happen to IPC-RB-276 Dmitriy> it's slow... [Batman] Dmitri, I am the one that just called you about locating the server at the address posted [cb] Please, not all of it! [reverma] Really, Earlier this morning I was the only one on here and I pronounced all tolerances are now +/-.050 Dmitriy> ah, i see. what was the problem? [reverma] Fabrication!! [Batman] Don't know, I did the same as before and this time it worked [reverma] Hey cb Dmitriy> could be a connection problem... [cb] yeh, man? [reverma] Are they talking over our heads! [Batman] Could be. In any case I'm off to the batcave. Just wanted to check it out. Regards to all Dmitriy> privaet chat is also available. Dmitriy> ops... private i meant... [reverma] What time is it there? [cb] If Dmitriy is going to publish all of this, I'm going to get real quiet... Dmitriy> it's 12:14 p.m in Chicago [cb] ditto in houston [reverma] Ok. It is 1:14 in southern IN [Batman] and it's 10:15 in Gotham City [reverma] Publish the important stuff. Like what happened to IPC-RB-276 Dmitriy> yeah, i'll edit it... [cb] and the microvias and intrusive reflow... [cb] forget the weather and the bats.....someone might think we are batty Dmitriy> we will be setting up times for specific topics. [reverma] How will we be notified. Email? >> Batman has left channel #IPC_Chat Dmitriy> and i will not publish the batman part [reverma] I got to go send out a job. Thank you! Dmitriy> bye >> reverma has left channel #IPC_Chat [cb] Have a good one, rev...perhaps we'll see you later. Dmitriy> he's allready out... [cb] yeh, a day late and a dollar short again. The story of my life. [cb] Well, I've got to work on creating some pick and place progams off-line. Dmitriy> bye [cb] Have agood day, and I hope you can get this worked over into something that folks will find usefull. Dmitriy> thank you