TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 97 13:02:58 cst
     Hi Phil -

     Let me ask this question: When you do put adhesive on a MELF for wave
     soldering purposes, do you have an failures? I would put forth that if
     you have sufficient documentation showing that your procedure results
     in no reduction of reliability for the use environment the assembly is
     going in then ignore the "specification". Specifications are not
     (well, should not be anyway) set in concrete - JSTD 001 is an example
     of a specification that allows for processes to be fit to their use
     environments. I wouldn't get wrapped up in the specifications words if
     you can show proof that a process/assembly method is reliable.
     Hopefully your customer will look at the situation the same way. Good
     luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins