TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:15:22 +0000
Technetters

I have a customer who asks?

     How can you apply adhesive to MELF's that will be wave soldered,
when section 2.4.2 of IPC-610 states that "Adhesive contacts an
unsleeved glass body component." is a nonconforming defect.

     I say that there is a difference.
Adhesives used to bond a component in section 2 is for mechanical
holddown and the component could crack if it were applied to the
glass body.

Adhesive used for staking in section 10 has very little strength and
used only to hold the part until it is soldered.

     anyway thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Phil Belliveau
Sippican, inc.
7 Barnabas Rd
Marion, MA 02738