TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"Kasprzak, Bill (esd) US" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 97 10:33:00 PST

Dear Technetters:

There seems to be a few folks out there who are working military programs
building printed circuit boards.  Most military boards that I have been
associated with require that the boards be conformally coated. Usually, some
portons of the board have to be masked off so that the masked area is free
of coating. I have always used masking tape as a means of covering the
masked areas.  However, pulling tape off of a dispenser or off the roll
generates an ESD charge that can vary depending on temperature and humidity
levels.  This charge remains on the tape and could potentially cause an ESD
event on the assembly  where components  could be damaged. An event could
also occur when tape is removed after coating.

Our experience with "ESD masking tape" has not been sucessful. The tape
lacks "stickiness" and therefore tends to fall off or peel away.

What are some of the things other  contractors are doing. Any suggestions or
do we "look the other way" when it comes to ESD and masking tape. Any and
all comments are welcome. Please respond to the technet.

Thank you,

Bill Kasprzak - Moog Inc. , East Aurora, NY
716-652-2000 ext 2507
(Sorrry no "whizzy" graphics like the guy peering over the fence )