TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 97 07:23:46 cst
     Good Morning TechNet!

     To my knowledge there is not a specification requirement for the
     "thickness" of the tinning of gold plated components. The MIL STD 2000
     and the JSTD-001 specifications were/are focused on the removal of the
     gold rather than getting a specific tinned thickness and I would focus
     more on that aspect also. Both specifications endorse either a double
     dip (two solder pots) emmersion or the use of a flowing solder wave as
     proven methods for removal of the gold plating and replacing it with
     tin/lead. JSTD 001 goes further in that it promotes the development of
     documented data showing that your method of removing the gold is
     sufficient for allowing reliable assembly operations. One industry
     number that has been suggested is 60 microinches of tin/lead on the
     leads is sufficient to insure solderability (I think this number may
     have come out of the old WS6536 specification). Keeping 60 microiches
     of tin/lead on the corners of square leads can sometimes be a problem.
     I suggest working with your vendors to evaluate how they propose to
     remove the gold and either through microsection or electron microscopy
     document that the gold is gone. How much solder you want to have left
     on the leads will depend on how fast your process consumes the
     components. Good Luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins