TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 15:28:31 -0500 (EST)
Regarding Thad McMillan's request for information on the ever-lively topic of
Reflow of Through-hole (ROT) also known as Paste In Pin, Pin In Paste,
Intrusive Soldering, Single Center Reflow, and other terms, Joe Belmonte
(MPM) and I did an article in the September, 1996 edition of Circuits
Assembly Magazine on the subject.  It was based upon Joe's experiences at
Motorola (Codex) and mine at GSS/Array as well as work I've done with clients
in this specific area.  We gave specific formulas that we have used and I
recommend taking a look at it if this is an area of interest to you.
I received a lot of feedback on the article.  A number of folks have done
reliability work including generating pull and shear strength data
(specifically, Tektronics shared some experiences with me).  For most
applications, even if the fillet is convex, there is usually more than ample
bonding area.  We are used to the mountain of solder for through-hole from
traditional means of soldering them (wave and hand).  All of that solder is
likely unnecessary.  Even if there is a certain degree of voiding within the
barrel.  However, all applications are not the same and I recommend that you
know what your requirements are and what environment the product will live in
before you undertake ROT.

Phil Zarrow, ITM Inc.