TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 14:56:13 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hello.
>
> IPC is thinking about offering a new free service for the circuit board
> industry - real time chat over the Internet. Before we do so, we'd like to
> evaluate the demand for and usefulness of such a service. For the test, we
> have created a web site that runs an evaluation version of the paraCHAT
> chat engine. It is available at any time at
> http://www.ipc.org/IPCchat/IPCchat.html.

	Technet/IPC -

	The chat mechanism relies on Java applications.  I must cau-
	tion everyone that there are some rather nasty securtity im-
	plications to running Java.

	I've been looking for my prior research, but meanwhile I
	cannot help but caution all Web users that leaving Java enabled
	and surfing less-than-name-brand sites opens one to some rather
	devious hacking methods.

	I am certain that IPC's use of Java is just fine, along with
	many other sites.  The problem comes up if you normally have
	Java enabled and happen to visit a "hostile" site.  Understand
	that Java code executes on your own CPU, and when it does,
	it has the full resources of your system available to it.

	Our policy has been to leave Java disabled and selectively
	enable it when visiting a reputable site that requires it.
	Unfortunately, many browsers will require that you remember
	to disable java after your intended use.

	If I can re-find my prior research on the subject, I'll post
	that as well, but right now for some reason Alta-Vista is
	causing my browser to crash.  Perhaps they're now using Java
	as well, and foolish/alarmist me has it disabled...

	Regards,
--

      Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
      Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879