TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 11:51:01 -0500

> Bilal Khalaf wrote:
> >
> > Dear Techies,
> >
> > Is there a significant advantage in using ARCS instead of 45 degree
> > angles when routing traces?
> > Advantages in inductance/resistance.... you know the usual.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > bilal

	In "normal" designs you should see very little difference
	between right angles, 45 degrees, or arcs.  Fabricators have
	voiced dislike of 90 degree routing, though.

	In very high energy conductors there is some benefit to arcs.
	I've been told that current density (high-amp applications)
	tends to flow to the inside of a corner, much like the apex
	of a corner in auto racing; rounding this geometry with arcs
	can help.  I've also been told that high-voltage lines are
	much more immune to issuing a spark if the conductor is
	rounded.

	In very high-speed differential structures, the use of con-
	centric arcs can keep the diff pair at exactly uniform spacing.
	We apply this technique when exceeding 600 mhz.

	Regards,
--

      Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
      Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879