TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
Bob Mesick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 17:16:13 -0800 (PST)
I saw a message over New Years that I don't have any more form someone who
wanted to remove copper for a solder bath.

If you heat the bath to just over the eutectic point, I believe its 3 or 4
deg F over, and let it sit, the copper comes to the top as a copper colored
scum.  You can just skim it off.  It takes 8-12 hours of sitting.  There is
still copper in the solder but the concentration is low enough to test OK
and it solders bright again.

Some of the solder coating services used to buy or make an extra solderpot
just to hold the dross and old solder at the eutectic point to purify it.

Regards,

Bob Mesick

Remco Engineering
Industrial Water and Wastewater Treatment Systems
San Luis Obispo, California  USA