TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:27:14 -0600
     Thad,

     After reading your reply to Pratap I have a few other questions for
     you or anyone else on the forum.  I have considered Intrusion Reflow
     on several PWAs that are 98% SMT with the thru-holes being connectors.
     Since we are using a 6' table top Zevatech Reflow oven its hard to get
     the appropriate reflow desired versus using a 15-20 foot Heller (its
     coming).

     I've set-up several evaluation test parameters (ESS, Xsectioning,
     thru-hole pull test - as compared to Wave, etc.) but would like some
     input on cost issues.  I don't mind making a matrix for cost but would
     prefer some platforms to begin from.

     1. What cost differences (more or less) has anyone determined between
        using Solder Paste and Solder Pot?  My view, your cost will
        defintely increase by using paste rather than standard SnPb Wave.

        Assume that you can not turn your Wave into scrap metal due to some
        thru-hole designs.

     2. What time studies, if any, have been done to compare the two
        processes?  A typical 22mil, 25mil or 32mil Connector thru-hole
        will require at least 3-4 passes per side to achieve an optimum
        solder joint (as described by Prasad).

        A recessed solder joint should still be acceptable based on the
        PWAs environment and use.

     3. How is anyone maintaining the past removal as the thru hole
        component or connector is Manually or Automatically inserted?

        There is definetly a paste volume loss in this operation.

     Please advise.

     John Gulley
     Inet Inc.
     Plano, TX