TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"Chris Messner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
10 Jan 97 09:13:29 -0500

     Thad,

     Circuits Assembly magazine featured this technique in its Sept. 1996
     edition, in an article called "Advanced Surface-Mount Manufacturing
     Methods".  The article included a table of formulas for pad size and paste
     volume.  I know there are resources on the net as well; Amp has a
     discussion of this technique at www.amp.com/product/articles/dd66.html.

     When I worked with Motorola on 2 way radio products, we used this technique
     on every product.  The joint does differ greatly from wavesolder joints,
     but it is still a robust joint and we did not see any significant ALT or
     field issue if the design work was done right and the process is
     controlled.

     Another thing:  there are a lot of solder preforms that will aid this
     technique (preforms are put on the part before insert; this provides more
     stable solder volumes compared to screening into the hole).

     Chris Messner
     United Technologies Electronic Controls
     219-358-3429