TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 97 08:29:31 MDT

  I did a design of experiment on Entek Plus Cu-106A. we used WS paste and
  the board was a 2 side, 8-layer rigid-flex board w/ only 1
  fountain-soldered TH component. Since we did not use no-clean process, I
  could not offer help on some of your Qs.

  2. Marginal effect of storgae time. We found little difference btwn days
  and 1 year storage time on solderability. I think factory environment(~30C
  and 50%) is OK. Our guideline is storage < 1 month.

  3. Highly recommend N2 use, especially if you use no-clean.

  4. Hold time btwn reflows is the most significant factor on solderability.
  Try to minimize it. We recommended < 12 hrs for our supplier.

  5. We use in-line aqueous cleaner to clean misprint.

  6  Other considerations:
     Prebake in N2.
     Be careful about misprint clean. Read the Spec. for Entek Plus, most
     solvents remove some of OSP. Even water clean (140F) can move ~15% of
     OSP. We used water clean and found that it did remove some of the OSP.
     However, the remaining OSP is thick enough to preserve solderability.
     To eliminate test and other concerns, we covered all test points and
     ground rings with solder.

  Yuan Li
  Exabyte Corporation
  1685 38th St.