TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 18:33:04 -0500 (EST)
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I just went "online" today!

In answer to you questions, may I suggest:

1. You indicated that the mask was "ghosting" onto the phototools and that
the mask was depositing onto the phototools from the hole areas. This could
be casued by underdrying of the mask (check you data sheet or call your
Dexter rep) or by a "hot" running exposure unit or both. Ideally, you want to
use a 7KW or 8KW unit that is air conditioned to have short expose times and
low heat buildup. Optimum would be a situation where the panel does not
exceed 80 deg F during the expose step. You may want to check this out with a
thermocouple lead on the panel during exposure to see how hot the panel
really gets (I've seen situations where the panel reached 125 deg F - not
good!).

2. It seems that your diazo film is being processed correctly. For greater
durability, you may want to consider using one of the film protectors instead
of the Duratool (Filmgard from MTH or Protek from Teknek). This protective
film is really this Mylar (usually .5 or 1.0 mils). This film is cold roll
laminated onto the phototools and provides more protection than Duratool. You
can use even agressive solvents (such as MEK) to clean off the phototools
without worry about attacking the emulsion. These protective films also
greatly increase the working life of your phototools.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact me if I can
be af any further service.

Larry Fisher
Dexter Electronic Materials