TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 21:35:17 -0500 (EST)
I would suggest that you contact your board supplier and ask whether they
routinely measure SEC (ionic cleanliness) of their product at various
processing steps. If any significant Chloride residues were present on the
product, it would be detected using this method. It appears from the
original posting that, as a minimum, this test should performed prior to
solder mask application and at final inspection prior to shipment, in order
to ensure 'clean' product. Typically this test is also performed prior to
multilayer lamination and the test methods can be found in IPC-TM-650.

Dave Rooke
Circo Craft - Pointe Claire