TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"ddsulliv" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 08 Jan 97 17:44:56 cst
          Our thoughts on 'swell' rollers

          Dave Sullivan
          Rockwell Collins, Inc.

Subject: Re: FAB:Roller swelling
Author:  pmcarter at po5
Date:    1/8/97 5:31 PM

          Yeah, my first hunch would be either the antifoam (some of the
     early ones were notoriously loaded with butyl or other glycol ethers
     as an "extender") or the proprietary developer solution. Some
     proprietary developer solutions have a glycol ether or a similar
     organic "extender/stabilizer" to make it look like it can stand a
     higher loading factor (more square feet of resist per gallon). You
     don't mention whose ThermoPlastic Elastomer was used to mold the
     roller sleeves (DuPont's Alcryn is one possible candidate), but if
     you can find that out, they, or Chemcut, might be able to help you
     sort out the chemical incompatibility.
          Of course when the developer still appears to develop, but has a
     viscosity approaching that of blue maple syrup, it is entirely
     possible to have a rinsing issue or two, especially as the city water
     temperature drops.
          There are/were organic constituents in some of the resists, that
     in concert with one of the materials above, might be expected to swell
     some synthetic elastomers
                                            Marc Carter,ex-resist person