TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 12:03:58 -0500 (EST)
Chuck,

Your not alone in your frustrations with MX resist.  As you have apparently
found, MX has excellent imaging characteristics, but develops & strips very
slow.  I'd agree with other TechNet'ers that preclean is importent, but you
need to know that under the best cleaning conditions the MX will still be
slow in comparison.  Be sure that you not promoting lock-on, at preclean, by
leaving a highly acidic surface, or by applying a antitarnish such as Cu56.

We have worked very closely with Morton to find ways of stripping this resist
faster.  To date we have found that AQI is as fast & effective as any other
stripper.  In my personal experience, the MX will strip completely with AQI,
but the strip time can be up to 2X in comparison to a resist like HG, 9000
(DuPont), or CF (Herc.).  Be sure that your breaking the resist at 50% to
ensure complete removal.  Additionally, the higher the temperature &
concentration, the faster it will strip (I may be stating the obvious).  Your
equipment may be able to handle 140F, but check first.

With your equipment, are the pumps pushing 30psi or better?  Are the nozzles
getting warn out, or new?  Solution impact can decrease greatly with only
slighly worn nozzels.

Be sure to not let the stripper get to low in pH.  I'd say pH of 10.5 to 11.0
may be getting low.  The use of caustic is a futile because it will die very
quickly and will make filtration more difficult.

If your interested, I can send you strip time charts for this resist with
many different strippers, so you can see the benifits of one stripper Vs.
another.

Let me know if any of this is helpful.  If not we'll try other approaches.

Scott Griggs
Applications Engineer
(612)825-6113