TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 97 05:06:17 cst
     Hi Carey -

     SOT-23 - these little buggers are have been driving a great many folks
     crazy almost as bad as leadless chip carriers! We have experienced
     some problems with reflow soldering this component type but after some
     investigation we found that we had a flux/thermal interaction problem.
     Because the SOT-23's pads were connected to several internal board
     layers they were slow to heat up and we were not getting good flux
     activation during the reflow cycle. We solved the problem by slowing
     down the conveyor to allow for a better preheat soak. If you do slow
     down your conveyor speed be careful not slow down too much and
     overheat the flux (i.e. burn it off) or you will experience problems
     too. Good Luck.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins