TECHNET Archives

January 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (DAVY.J.G-)
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 14:20:39 -0500
     Vijay Sankaran posted to TechNet a plea for solder acceptance requirements
     to be based on science rather than opinion so that the cost of needless
     rework could be avoided (my synopsis).

     I think that he is on to something and I hope that the discussion pro-
     ceeds to a good conclusion. The relationship between design, service
     environment, and inspection is one that deserves to be considered
     carefully.  I had been studying solder connections for many years
     before I came to realize that most connection failures I could find
     documented were caused by conditions that could not be detected by
     inspection.  These included solder in tension, faulty plating (brittle
     copper and inclusions), and stress relief that was inadequate by
     design.  I am concerned that most of the connections being reworked
     today are not at risk of failing, and that the connections that get
     selected for rework depend mainly on who looks at them.  This is
     obviously wasteful.

     Given the difficulties that have been documented in getting inspectors
     to agree on their calls for solder connection nonconformances it cer-
     tainly is unrealistic to expect operators and inspectors to be able to
     judge a connection for reliability without something to go on besides
     001 and 610.  The way I see it, the designer has two responsibilities:
     1) using the known service environment, to identify scientifically
     sound acceptance requirements for the various kinds of connections,
     and 2) to ensure that a properly prepared connection is reliable
     (plating and finishes properly specified, adequate mechanical com-
     pliance of connection members, solder not in tension).

     That said, for the most part, the designer will not be able to do item
     1 because he/she does not have the necessary training.  What could be
     done is for people who have specialized in solder connection reliabil-
     ity to identify certain classes of service environment and then pro-
     vide acceptance requirements for each.  (The person I know of who has
     done the most along this line is Werner Engelmaier.)  What would come
     out of this study (a combination of analysis and experimentation)
     would be, for each type of connection, such as through-hole connec-
     tions, gull-wing connections, connections on a 28 I/O leadless chip
     carrier, etc., the minimum requirements for reasonable reliability for
     each class of service environment (not the existing Class 1, 2 and 3
     of J-STD-001).

     For connections that are properly designed and specified, another way
     to look at the question of how to inspect for reliability is for the
     factory to control incoming materials and manufacturing processes well
     enough that abnormal connections are rare.  In such a circumstance,
     rework of the occasional abnormal connection is no big deal.  This
     seems to be the way that things are moving, and it is the way that
     J-STD-001 is designed.  I have been told that the rate of solder
     nonconformances is below 100 per million connections at more than one
     factory. (I failed to find out whether this was machine soldering or
     manual soldering.)  To take Vijay's example of 60 percent (or worse)
     wetting, if solderability and soldering are so controlled that such
     cases occur once a week or once a month, then there is very little
     monetary impact of reworking those that occur, whether they are at
     risk or not, and regardless of what class the drawing specified.

     One benefit of this approach is that it is much more satisfying to the
     customer, who may very well not be swayed by pure logic and data, no
     matter how correct it may be.  As in the old saying, "The customer is
     always be right".  The risk of a dissatisfied customer may be too
     great to attempt to get him/her to believe that those funny-looking
     connections really aren't going to fail, especially when their occur-
     rence suggests that they are due to failure to control materials and
     processes.

     Gordon Davy