TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 97 07:22:21 +0100
WAVE (46 lines)
> HI,
> I WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME IDEA OF HOW MANY OF YOU WAVE SOLDER SMT ICS.
> WE HAVE NOT DONE THIS BEFORE AND HAVE READ INFORMATION PRO AND CON. I
> AM CONCERNED ABOUT A 28 PIN A-D CONVERTER. ALSO HOW TALL CAN THE  >
COMPONENTS BE.
> THANKS
> Timothy C. Cables

Hi Timothy,
We haven't wave soldered any SMT ics, but some capactiors and resistors.

What kind of machine are you using?? Do you use any solder pallets for
you boards?
Anyway, the height is ofcourse relevant, it depends on "free-height"
between the board and the wave mould (sorry, can't find any word for
that, hope you understand). We use about 4mm from the board.
But then, if you're using a pallet it shouldn't be any problems.
I've seen some use very complex pallets for just this matter, they just
cover the smt parts in wave soldering (because they've soldered the ics
at reflow) and leave some holes just for pth components.
But if you're not using any pallets, then i would recommend you to run
them through the solder wave, with a chip wave, like this (if it's
possible):

          ________
       ---I      I---    to wave

/Jan Merstrand