TECHNET Archives

January 1997

Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 17:08:18 -0600 (CST)

Hello.

IPC is thinking about offering a new free service for the circuit board
industry - real time chat over the Internet. Before we do so, we'd like to
evaluate the demand for and usefulness of such a service. For the test, we
have created a web site that runs an evaluation version of the paraCHAT
chat engine. It is available at any time at
http://www.ipc.org/IPCchat/IPCchat.html.

To take part in the evaluation, we invite you to point your web browser to
the chat site on Wednesday, January 15, at 11 o'clock Central Standard
Time. If you have a question about the TechNet or any other IPC E-mail
email forum or just want to chat with people behind the TechNet, please
join us.

It looks to us as if the most effective way to use IPCchat would be to use
TechNet or other forum messages to gain agreement on a date and time for a
"chat" about a pre-arranged topic. The technology doesn't limit the number
of participants or the time spent in a chat.

The service is not for personal use, of course. Topics should be kept
relevant to the printed circuit board industry. Also, since IPCchat is
open to everyone, please be aware that any information you provide about
yourself could receive wide distribution.

When the service asks for your name, consider using your an alias. If
your evaluations tell us the service is useful, we will set up private,
password-protected chat rooms on request.

Please send your opinions to [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your participation.

Dmitriy Sklyar
Electronic Communication Manager
IPC