From:
"Greg Bartlett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
19 Apr 1996 15:37:58 -0400
Message Body (38 lines)
                      ASSY: RE>BGA PPM Question                    4/20/96

Ron,
We were told to expect < 5 ppmj initially, but got about an order of magnitude more than that for the first 3-6 months or so (~50-75 ppmj) on our 50 mil pitch, 361 I/O CBGA.  Most of the problems were related to PWB surface finish issues.  Once cleared up and our mfg processes stabilized, we've been in the 1-2 ppmj range since.

We've recently been working on other CBGA and now PBGA devices, but we haven't done enough placements to really come up with statistically significant defect levels.  Early work tends to indicate, however, that defect levels will be consistent with those on the more established product.

Greg Bartlett
Mercury Computer Systems
Chelmsford, MA

-----------

TechNet,

I've been trying to locate industry information regarding BGA PPM
joint defect data.  I'm hearing through word of mouth that BGA
placements are very reliable, in the order of <10 PPMJ but need
some hard data.

Can you help?

Ron R.

Ron Richardson                              Voice: 408-957-2779
Technical Pgm Mgr                           Pager: 408-725-6679
Solectron Corporation           Email: [log in to unmask]