From:
"John Guy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 1996 09:51:24 +0000
Dave,
	Trying to stop production of an assembly in never a good idea, but
there may be some ways to get away with this.  Let look at you ideas
first.
>         1- Does storage in nitrogen chambers help?

	Storage in nitrogen may not be doing what you want.  The nitrogen
chambers we have are used to control the relative humidity inside the
chamber.  I sure this process displaces some of the oxygen, but as to
how much, I could tell you.  Besides, the evaporation of the
volatiles in the paste may be your biggest concern and a nitrogen
chamber wont help that and may make your situation worse.

>         2- Who manufactures nitrogen chambers?

	Ours was made by Terra Universal in Anaheim, CA.  There phone number
is 714/526-0100.

>         3- Does refrigerated storage help?

	You would need to be very careful how you handled this one.  If your
refrigerator is too cold and the air is humid, you may end up with
condensation on the board.  This would not be a good thing, no matter
how you look at it.  Also, you would need to wait for the boards to
warm up to room temperature before re-entering them into the
production flow.

>         4- Any technical papers/resources available in industry?

	Not that I know of off the top of my head.  This is not to say there
aren't any.  If you still want them, I can have our librarian do a
search for you.

	The first thing you need to do is determine the life of the paste
you are using.  Use the old engineering approach, if it is not broke
don't fix it.  If you still have a problem, you may need to look for
a paste with a longer production life.

	If I can be more help, let me know.

Sincerely,
John Guy