From:
Melinda Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melinda Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 11:42:48 -0500 (CDT)

Good morning Michael,

I will try to address your concerns one by one:

On 9 Apr 1996, Michael Fenner wrote:

> The system appears to have gone up the creek as far as I am concerned. viz
> You are forwarding me any number of "undeliverable mail" messages from post
> masters.

"Undeliverable mail" messages that get forwarded to TechNet participants
do not come from IPC's mail list server. They are the result of mail
systems on the net that violate Internet protocols by sending delivery
errors to the "From" field instead of the "Sender" field of the message
that could not be delivered. We try to minimize inconvenience to our
participants by removing the offending address as quickly as possible.

You can help us by forwarding the rogue mail to [log in to unmask] with the
message "Bounces for this address are being distributed to forum
participants -- please remove it from the mail list."

> I also received this week umptytump copies of a message complaining of
> undeliverable mail addressed to Leila

I am working with this individual. The mail sent to Leila was addressed
wrong, and so was undeliverable. Those involved probably did not realize
they were including TechNet in their mail exchange back and forth.

> I receive quite a lot of answers to questions
> However I don't appear to receive the original questions,
> So whilst it is initially quite entertaining trying to work out the questions
> (not everyone repeats the original message),
> the technet is becoming a time user.

The mail list has no way to differentiate between questions and answers.
We know that you are on the distribution list and receiving the majority
of the e-mail. If some deliveries are not making their way to you, it is
more likely a problem with your mail server, or one of the servers
between us on the Internet.

We checked, and there have been no bounces registered for your address
for the last week.

Until three weeks ago, we had some configuration problems that affected
just some of our participants. They could not send e-mail to our DNS. The
confusion from this problem probably contributed to your feeling that
there was not a steady flow of questions and answers. Those problems are
now resolved.

> Are you picking on me or is everyone suffering, or is there a system fault I can
> get fixed.

We do appreciate your help in identifying problems that need resolution.
There may currently be a problem with the address

that you are using. This is an old DNS. The one you should use is

I encourage everybody on TechNet to update their address books -- remove
[log in to unmask] and replace it with [log in to unmask] Meanwhile, I will
check to see if the old address is working properly.

If there are any bounced messages or other information that will help me
to track down problems, please forward them to [log in to unmask] or
[log in to unmask] Often we must rely on you before we can identify and
solve a problem. And we do value all of our participants.

Regards,

Melinda

*******************************
Melinda Robinson