From:
"Ralph Hersey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
29 Feb 1996 11:21:51 -0800
                      Subject:                              Time:  10:16 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         RE>ADMIN: Poll Results on Splitting...  Date:  2/29/96

Melinda's poll to "carve-up" the technet seems to have met with good success.
I'm glad the proposal is to add an introductory protocol to identify the
contents of the request.

>From Melinda's poll results summary the following was proposed:

1. Implement a protocol whereby the Subject of each submission
   to the TechNet forum begins with

   FAB:   If it has to do with fabrication,
   ASSY:  If it has to do with assembly,
   DES:   If it has to do with design, or
   ADMIN: If it is from one of our mail list administrators,
          as this message is

------------------
As an alternative, you might consider:

Technet is involved in more electronic packaging than printed boards.

I've been using a subject index filling system code for several years that is
technology, process based, and allows the addition of sub-descriptors for
additional information, such as through-hole technolgy, surface mount,
chip-on-board, etc.  The following is a sample:

PBD -- printed board design
PB   -- printed board manufacturing
PBA -- printed board assemblies

MCMD -- multichip module design
MCM   -- MCM manufacturing
MCMA -- MCM assembly

EA's are the next level of electronic packaging and may contain PBA(s), MCM(s)
and include all kinds of hardware, such as chassis, metal frames, etc.

EAD  -- electronic assembly design
EA    -- electronic assemblies

Some of the sub-descriptors are BM (base material), CP (conductive patterns),
E (electrical characteristics), T (thermal), M (mechanical) SMC, BGA, WB
(wire-bond), TAB, etc.

Ralph Hersey
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Phn:  510.422.7430