Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 96 13:25:40 -0100
Kaylor Karl stated:

>We are currently using a 2 layer FR-4 board as a 2-up panel in our assembly
>factory and our board vendor has asked us if we are able to use x-outs.
> Currently, we are not able to use x-outs given our equipment and line rate.
>Does anyone else produce / use glued boards?

We assemble several 2x5 boards, 10 units in one panel (2, 4> layers).
These boards are not glued, but the GERBER data is modified (copied)
by our board supplier, before producing the films and boards.
The modified "CAD"-data is used by us to make paste-stencils, program
the assembly machines, etc.

We accept x-outs because we produce relative small batches of expensive units.
Whe cannot scrap a whole panel just because of 1 bad (damaged) unit.

>What are some problems we should look out for?

The only problems we've had are :
- production-batches of 50 pcs. are a problem when you have 6 panels of
  10 units with 1 x-out. Why produce 59 units, when we need only 50 this week?
- x-out recognition. Solutiuon : a big white dot (bad-mark) in the middle of
  the x-out. This badmark can easely be detected by our mounting equipment.
  Do NOT try to cover the normal fiducials, this only gives "vision" problems.
- when we have really small batches we start the machines by hand, and we
  re-program them on only 9 units in a panel (with 1 x-out). (that's our
  luck, or problem if you want)

I hope you can understand my poor writing skills;
E-mail me if you want to know more details, good luck !

*******************************
 Ivo de Rooij
 Process Engineer
 Surface Mount Assembly