Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 1996 08:37:20 -0500
Dear Tom,

Some things that come to mind relative to your question on SOT-23:

-  I have seen success with a variety of fluxes - LRF to WSF.  I think
adequate flux coverage and application is important

-  A dual wave soldering system seems to be a commonality in the successful
processes I am aware of

- Component orientation and the surrounding component population may be
factors that increase the difficulty of soldering these devices

- Adhere to the preheat/soldering specification necessary for the flux you
are using; a LRF flux chemistry may not perform optimally if processed under
a thermal profile suitable for an RMA, for example

-  An inerted soldering atmosphere, through its impact on wave dynamics and
wetting, aids soldering in general.  Are you operating in an environment
where drossing is expected?

Hope these and other inputs help you out!!!!

Best regards,

Bob Burress
Technical Director
SEHO USA