From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 03 Dec 96 11:41:36 cst
     Hi Richard -

     Can you provide any information on what type of use environments the
     Pwbs are going into? Even something generic would be helpful to those
     of us looking at the Alphalevel.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins

Subject: Re: Anyone using AlphaLevel
Author:  [log in to unmask] at ccmgw1
Date:    12/2/96 5:56 PM

We were the 2nd site in the UK, 3rd site in the world, to install this
process last summer.

Our decision to install was based on the following:

1.  We wanted a finish suitable for all pcb types.

2.  We wanted to do something about the safety and environmental concerns
of our old vertical Quicksilver machine.

3.  We wanted to automate the labour intensive HASL process of our
vertical machine.

We are very pleased with the performance of the process.  We are now
processing 60% of our production using AlphaLevel.

All our customer approvals have been on the understanding that they do
not want to change their wave solder parameters.  This is understandable
when they are buying from a number of sources that give HASL, Ni/Au etc.

During installation we experienced some problems concerning the control
of the deposit.  It has not been easy to develop a QA test that
effectively assesses how the process will perform on different customers'
assembly lines.  Understanding how the process parameters effect the
thickness of silver and the thickness of the organic layer has been quite
absorbing!

The cosmetic appearance is very good.  The finish "looks solderable" and
does not give the initial suspicion and worry that new users have with
organic coatings over bare copper.

I can not be specific on costs.  However, it is exceedingly competitive
against the Ni/Au alternative.

Richard Wood-Roe
Artetch Circuits Ltd.
Littlehampton, UK