From:
"Randy Johnson (Loveland)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 11:02:00 -0600
I'm sure it depends on the solder type used and the temp rating rating
of the PCB.   We require maximum temperatures be no higher than the temp
rating of our boards (120C).  This  is significantly lower than the
melting point of the eutectic solder we use (183 C) so we don't consider
the solder melting point an issue.   Assuming you stay below the melting
point or plastic region ( for non eutectic solders), fatigue life is an
issue which has to do with temperature cycling rather than absolute
temperature of the solder.   Werner Englemaier is an expert on that
subject.  He will probably comment and want to know at what rate the
solder changes temperature and what kind of joint it is.