From:
"George Franck Jr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:12:30 -0500
John,

A quick response to oxidation/solderability

The Lead oxide is not a problem, the tin oxides are the ones we are
dealing with.  Now, simple tin oxide is not a problem for most fluxes,
if the oxide is not TOO thick.  But you probably do not have simple tin
oxide.

While the solder is sitting on the surface of the copper, copper atoms
will migrate/diffuse from the copper layer into the solder, and tin will
migrate the other way into the copper.  The lead, being physically much
larger, just kinda gets into the way.

What happens when copper starts showing up on/near the surface?  Glad
you asked.  It oxidizes, just like the tin.  HOWEVER, the tin and copper
start making interesting alloys.  And it is the oxide of the alloy which
needs to be stripped.  Without getting into metallurgy (which I cant
even spell correctly) and all the different alloys, just remember that
the higher the copper content at the surface, the harder it is to remove
the oxide.

OK John, on your boards, enough copper has made its way to the surface
to create a copper/tin alloy which you can not solder to.  What happens
if you remove the top layer of oxide and metal?  Answer: You expose a
layer of tin/copper/lead which is slightly higher in copper than the one
on the surface.  In other words, a layer slightly harder to solder to.

So, to your question, how do I remove Oxide from solder?  Well, you can
use Thiourea Hydrochloride, often found in Fab shop solder brightners,
(and I think Wal-mart sells it as Tarn-ex, next to Cascade in the PWB
section) but what have you accomplished?  You will very quickly form
another even harder to solder to oxide coating.

Copper is at its lowest concentration on the surface of the solder.
Therefore, the solder which is easiest to solder is on the surface of
the solder.  If the surface solder is not solderable, none of the solder
is solderable.  Then your only hope it to a) re-HASL or b) scrap and
reorder.

There is a relationship which goes something like this:
PWB solderability shelf life (Time)
           = solder thickness (L) / Copper diffusion rate (L/Time)
(The diffusion rate in a function of Temperature, and alloy.)  There are
other factors in the equation, but this is first order.

In my experience, this is the major problem of HASL boards that are 9+
months old.

There are other causes for solderability problems.  May none of them be
as bad or prevalent as this one.

George Franck Jr
Raytheon E-Systems
Product Assurance Engineer
Falls Church Va

On Nov 18,  9:23am, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Subject: ASSY/FAB: SnPb Oxidation
>      Address,
>
>      Other than book knowledge, I don't have a lot of hands-on
experience
>      with SnPb Oxidation (other than finding it, SEC Test).  Since I
am
>      having difficulties in finding a local source to Re-HAL some
internal
>      PCBs, I thought I'd approach this matter from another direction.

>      Within a FAB Shop, copper oxidation can be easily removed with
Sodium
>      Persulfate (Microetch) should this condition present itself.
>
>      What chemicals would you use to remove SnPb Oxidation?
>
>      Please advise.  Thank you.
>
>      John Gulley  - QA
>      972-578-3928

    *