From:
"George Franck Jr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:31:19 -0500
Ed,
   I would be concerned about my internal layer connection.  All the
Z-axis thermal stresses are now borne by the innerlayer connections.

Example:  A Plated thru hole is like a rivet.  The top and bottom pads
constrain epoxy board material which is expanding at 50+ ppm per degree
faster than the epoxy.

In your design, the rivet has only one side.  You should expect the
rivet/ plated barrel to start up pull out. This will cause your
innerlayer connection to be intermittent opens.

The only place you can get away with this is on 2 layer boards.

--

George Franck Jr
Raytheon E-Systems