From:
Michael Barmuta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 09:05:09 -0800
	John: The short answer is yes you can solder Al to Sn/Pb.Reliabilty
		may be another issue.

		Fluxing is typically done with a reaction style flux at high
		temperatures(350C).It is made up of metal halides such as Sn
		or Zn chloride along with ammonium chloride.The heat and
		chemistry destroy the aluminum oxide film allowing the metals
		to wet the aluminum.There are also some lower temperature
		fluxes available but may not do as good a job of activation.

		The aluminum alloy can also influence solderability.Alloys
		containing >2%magnesium or >5%silicon can be difficult to
		solder.

		I would contact one of the larger flux suppliers Alpha,Kester
		Multicore etc.to see what they have available.Whatever flux
		system you use make sure you THOROUGHLY remove it.Most of
		this stuff is highly corrosive and conductive

					Regards
					Michael Barmuta
					Staff Engineer
					Fluke Corp.