From:
[log in to unmask] (ROGER HELD)
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 09:47:12 -0600
     Jim,

     One of the main differences between the Japanese and US markets is
     that in the US, material is cheap and labor/process is expensive, but
     in Japan labor/process is cheap and material is expensive.  Japanese
     tend to use more dense circuitry (and thus design-in the process to
     easily achieve the higher density) and fewer layers.  Japanese
     companies will generally employ any means necessary to gain an edge in
     the market, especially from the down-size and dense pack perspective.

     I have found the plating process to be much more reliable and
     efficient in Japanese suppliers (but the boards are also that much
     more expensive).

     In addition, designers in Japan are more willing to accept lower
     percentages of auto-routing of circuitry allowing the boards to be
     manually routed more densely.  In the US, designers prefer to accept a
     sparser circuit board with more layers to achieve a higher level of
     auto-routing.

     Roger Held
     Hitachi Computer Products