Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:08:19 -0500
I have just recently returned from a trip to Japan in which I was guided
through many of the largest capitive PWB fabrication facilities in the
country. I need not say who these companies are, but let me just say that
most of the multilayer boards I saw, were going into the electronics that we
use virtually every day of our lives.

Why is the majority of what I saw being done with additive techniques?

My understanding is that throughout N. America and Europe we are using
subtractive technology. I realize that there are the few companies who have
licensed SLC etc., Does anyone have a feel for what percentage of North
America and Europen PWB fabs employ Additive technologies?

Does anyone feel that there is major trend towards additive? How many years
away is it?
Do we really need to employ additive to get to 0.003"/0.003" or 0.002"/0.002"
in high volume production?

I see an obvious difference in markets here. I am trying to figure out how
geographical areas can employ such different techniques. (Maybe readily
available cash and long term investment strategies is the real difference?)

I would appreciate any input that I get. Thanks much in advance,

Jim Morrison