From:
Jim Marsico 516-595-5879 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:31:00 -0500 (EST)
On 10/22 you wrote:

"Some studies indicated that the fatigue life of BGA is less than QFP.  I
realized that there are many variables involved in determining long term
reliability.  Any comments on this subject would be highly appreciated.

The ranking for cumulative joint fails as I know it:
1. 15 mils QFP (longest fatigue life)
2. CCGA
3. CBGA"

As you have stated, there are many variables in determining fatigue life of a
component (i.e. environment, TCE mismatch, etc.)  We are, however, replacing
the majority of our QFPs on a military project with ceramic BGAs.  Our analysis
and actual test data shows that the BGAs are as good as QFPs, although we are
controlling the TCE mismatch.

Jim Marsico
(516) 595-5879

	      *	        SYSTEMS, INC.	     *